Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Meteor

Price: 3 dollars
Insurance value: that depends, but if it's a meteor, a couple grand.

"Are you a teacher?" asked the pricing-woman. "No; but my father and sister are, why?" Turns out she thinks it's a fossil and that I'm going to bring it to show-and-tell, or something. Now I've seen fossils, and this--my friends--is no fossil. Meteor or moon rock, maybe, but certainly not a fossil.

It's irony, not as in the opposite of wrinkly and it's definitely not a "literary or rhetorical device, in which there is an incongruity or discordance between what a speaker or writer says and what he or she means, or what is generally understood." I think space rocks usually have iron in them, hence the rust in the dimples, and it is heavy, so it's probably a meteor. All those pock marks are probably from entry into our atmosphere, right?




No comments: